Sunday, July 22, 2012

They're Baaack . . . Twisted Beads!

If you follow my blog, you know that I have been slightly intrigued with retro jewelry from the 1980s.  This is partly a natural progression of my own long-time fascination with vintage and retro jewelry from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. I have also noticed a 1980s retro element to many emerging jewelry trends.
From JW Vintage Jewelry on Etsy
For example, twisted seed bead necklaces are very popular right now. An obvious come back from their extreme popularity in the 1980s. I was always drawn to open the jewelry drawer in my mother's room when I was younger, and I clearly remember her having some of these. However, I did not realize until recently that twisted beads were also made in the 50s and 60s. 

I am thinking of incorporating the twisted necklace style into some of my designs. Especially the Day of the Dead pieces I am working on.

What are your own memories of twisted bead necklaces? Did you ever wear them?


No comments:

Post a Comment