Friday, June 3, 2011

Retro Saints

Retro Saint medals from the 60s or 70s are my latest obsession. An extremely popular form of devotion, Saint medals have been in use since the earliest practice of Christianity.


I have always seen the medals as ones carried in a pocket, on Rosary necklaces, or on charm bracelets. I had not known that they were stylized to fit the jewelry trends of certain decades. For some reason, I find these images particularly fascinating.


I read an article in the June/July/August edition of Belle Armoire Jewelry that got me thinking about the way to present and package my jewelry if I do end up selling it. One idea I had is to use vintage Holy Cards for the religious pieces. 


This is still something I am mulling over. Do you think the Holy Cards would need some additional decoration?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh - thanks for following my blog and for your compliment on my jewelry on Etsy. I too love holy cards and medals - as you have probably already figured out by my blog. If you travel through my blog and shop you will see I have altered some holy cards with color and/or lace etc. I am now a follower of your blog. If you decide to open an Etsy shop and need any help please feel free to ask!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- I was actually inspired by the tags you create to try altering the Holy Cards a bit. I used to do a lot of scrapbooking and also altered paper crafting, and your tags are so beautiful!

    Anyway, thank you so much for the offer of help. I will take you up on that at some point.

    ReplyDelete